Re: [OM] Question about the auction site.

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about the auction site.
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:15:52 +1000
Tom

I'm not questioning his credentials. Its just that I asked that he ship it via a tracked method to prevent things like this. I expressly asked that he ship it tracked and insured and that I would pay any extra to have it made so. To find that it has been air mailed with no tracking number is pretty ordinary in my opinion. I know it says a lot about the times in which we live that we have to do this to make sure items get through but the extra price is a small amount to pay.

I mean I fulfil my side of the deal by sending a money order promptly after the auction; which I always send with registered post. I, like eBay believe that people are inherently good. I just question why they are so cheap when it comes to what is effectively a small cost to insure things like this don't happen.

I've elected to wait another two weeks to ensure that I've given it enough time. I'm still hoping it will turn up as it was a great price for that particular lens with its hood and case. The only problem is that there is a 90 day window after the auction during which eBay insures "fraud" (their definition of an item not turning up after it has been paid for).

Also to answer your question; I inquired at the post office. They keep a meticulous logbook of parcels that turn up. No parcels are delivered to the door. They mail out a card that one uses to pick up an item. The person picking up the item must sign against the parcel after they prove their identity. They have no record of an item from Canada arriving for me. If there is theft occurring then it must be happening in a way that circumvents multiple safeguards against it. I think it's best just to prevent the possibility altogether by sending all items with tracking number type delivery. Its better for the buyer and better for the seller.

I for one refuse to send out items without tracking number type delivery. I'd rather not take the risk of the item going astray for any reason. It also means I can sleep at night with a clear conscience that I have done the right thing by the buyer.

Oben