RE: [OM] [OT] Email Address Harvest Was: [OT] 'Diaphragm'

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Email Address Harvest Was: [OT] 'Diaphragm'
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:16:55 +0200
Hi,

> Doesn't work for me from (cough, spit) AOL.  What email program do you
use?

Aaaaah, the evil of all evils: I use the dreaded Outlook ;)

Your name shows up as: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; namens; Dogxxx@xxxxxxx

[Note: I crossed out part of your address, so as to not explicitely quote it
completely]

Then, the suggestion of using a name along with just an address doesn't seem
to prevent the address from being quoted by all programs, as I do use my
name along with the address, yet I noticed that at times the quotes look
like "Olaf Greve <o.greve@xxxxxxx> wrote..."

The problem is, that no matter how one's e-mail reader is configured to
display the messages to their users, the full headers are still sent. I can
bet you 10 to 1 that the people who write software to extract e-mail
addresses will typically do so using a Unix straight mail reader (such as
"mail"), then open a pipeline to it and parse the mail stream (which then
includes the full headers) for occurrences of what seem to be e-mail
addresses. Something similar should be the case for software that traverses
the WWW, be it that that software will use the HTTP protocol for grabbing
webpages as streams which can then easily be parsed. I'm positive I can
write such a program in something like a day's time. :/

Cheers!
Olafo