RE: [OM] [OT] 'Diaphragm'

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] 'Diaphragm'
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:54:49 +0200
Hi,

>Isn't this all about English grammar?

Arguably so. I would say, it was just about some English words rather than
about English grammar as a whole...

>Well, how about some grammar?  For instance, without too much emphasis on
punctuation:
>Olafo wrote:
>Well Folks, your  (you're: being an abbreviation of "you are")  in luck ...
[SNIP]

Hmm, actually I was not the one who wrote that :)

>Maybe I'm being too critical, particularly as English is my second
language?

Things like these all too easily occur in e-mail, I was a little bit
surprised that no one made a wise crack at a typo I made (which I did not
spot until reading my own message back). I was waiting for someone to call
the following typo on my behalf a Freudian slip:
"The case is that Erwin enocuntered some funny meanings of the word
"diaphragm". Much rather than its main meaning being indicated as a camera's
diaphragm (i.e. aperture), most dictionaries primarily mentioned the meaning
to be a contraceptive device."

Indeed: "...eno_c*nt_ered...  ...contraceptive device." A funny typo in this
context :)

Cheers!
Olafo