Re: [OM] Liberator Crash site

Subject: Re: [OM] Liberator Crash site
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:27:33 +0100
John

Chris,
Thanks for posting these.  We have a saying in the U.S. Army that
are words to the effect:  "So long as a single soldier still lives,
those who went before are never forgotten."  (I'm now retired.)
Thanks for helping us live up to that.

You're welcome chum

Today I took a day of vacation today to photograph a B-17
Superfortress and B-24 Liberator as they landed at the very small
airport here, and then to make some ground shots of them after they
landed.  Because the airport is so small, I was able to position
myself less than 200 yards from the end of the runway, on the
shoulder of a public road running between sets of approach lights.
The B-17 is one of just a few still flying.  The B-24 is the *only*
one still flying.

They take a lot of keeping flying.  Many volunteers have to give up
time to do it.  The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF
Coningsby, in Lincolnshire in England has a Lancaster, Spitfire and
Hurricane flying all the time.  Although it is an officially
designated unit, I think that all the work is done by volunteers in
their spare time.  Certainly the flying it.. what a chore! ;-).

Used the OM-4 with winder and 18/3.5 on a tripod.  Had the traverse
and elevation loosened so I could pan and track as they lined up on
final approach.  Was able to fill the viewfinder looking almost
straight up as they passed overhead.  I've never had a large
aircraft fly over me that low.  As they lined up it looked like they
were headed straight for me (DOH, I guess they were).  The
thundering of their four radial engines was magnificent; nothing
like any other aircraft I've heard before.  I cannot imagine what it
must have sounded like in the huge formations they flew during the
war, when the sky would go dark from the numbers of them.  For
military aircraft over 55 years old, they are in "KEH EX" condition.

That must have been great.  I hope that you don't have problems with
the metering - with the OM4 that's not normally a problem I know, but
when I use my OM1N, I occasionally forget to open up for the metering
against the sky.

Chris