Re: Re: [OM] Liberator Crash site

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Liberator Crash site
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:38:00 +0000
At 18:04 8/3/01, Mark Hammons wrote:
Doug,

My dad was also a ball turret gunner in a Liberator
but he was in the European theater.  On his first mission
the plane right next to him took a direct flak hit,
turned upside down and exploded -- none of the crew
survived.  Sometimes it makes me feel guilty as I never
chose to serve a stint in the U.S. Military.

Mark Hammons
Plano,TX USA

Mark: Don't feel guilty; military service is not for everyone. Some of my experiences I would not care to repeat, ever, nor would I ever wish anything remotely similar for anyone. Terrifying doesn't come close to describing them. Oddly, it's the retrospect afterward that's terrifying; at the time it was only deciding what had to be done and doing it.

I've seen the photographs of aircraft breaking up in mid-flight. AFIK crew members in other aircraft would attempt to photograph these events in hopes of identifying any crew members that managed to get out, or at least the number of them. My boss' father was a B-17 ball turret gunner. It's the reason I had zero problem taking a day off for the planes' arrival. Indeed, he asked me if I had any plans to make some photographs of them while they were here. He asked me yesterday morning when the photographs would be processed. Had to tell him next week because I used K-chrome 64.

When the B-24 landed and parked the first thing I noticed was the ball turret missing. Then I toured (crawled through) the inside of the plane. The B-24 ball turret is retractable and is retracted for take-off and landing. The B-17 ball turret is not. This feature on the B-24 gave the ball turret gunner a possibility of surviving a belly landing in a badly crippled B-24 than the zero probability in a B-17 if he could not get out of the turret (which had to be oriented correctly for its hatch to open). Even so, it's *not* the crew position I would volunteer for on either plane!

OM Content:
The shoot really gave a workout to the 35/2, 24/2 and 18/3.5 because of how tightly they were cordoned off on the ramp. The airport is a very small one for general aviation; perhaps no bigger than a square mile total area.

-- John