Re: [OM] Golden OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Golden OM-1
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:39:28 +0000
Bill Stanke wrote:

> Morgan:
>
> I don't know anything about these kits, but they look interesting:
>
> http://www.caswellplating.com/
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with their kits; could they be
> used to refinish a camera?

Yes, I do, but not the gold plating kit. In a past life, I was in to
restoring old German cars and I used some of thier products. They are
good quality kits, but you need some understanding of plating in general
to get good results. They sell a book that is very good.

As to plating the OM-1 parts that are brass, you would have to strip off
the chrome plating, then replate in gold. For the aluminum bits, it gets
harder. You have to remove the anodized layer, then do some kind of
funky pre-plating job on it, then finally gold. It ain't easy, in other
words.

Just forget about it...

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright