RE: [OM] Golden OM-1

Subject: RE: [OM] Golden OM-1
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:04:14 +0200
Cc: "Jaap Korten" <j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

Frank: congratulations on an excellent find! Also, the price you paid is not
bad, considering that twice that amount was asked for the one for sale by
Foto Hoogeveen. :)

Then:

> The camera has chrome trimmings rings below rewind crank and ASA knob.
> This is strange, since even the thin axis of the camera back has been
> gold plated!
> But then the collection picture of Jaap Korten
> http://www.wide-angle.nl/cgi-bin/collection.cgi?session_id=310701-
> 094149&ref=62.251.1
> with the 1.4 lens, shows these silver rings as well... maybe it is
> made of material which cannot be gold plated at all?
>
> What came also with the camera, is a certificate of origin, in which
> the numbers of both camera and lens are mentioned - and they do match.
> It is a plastic laminated card which could not easily be forged. Apart
> from that the name of the dealer (one of the fortunate 25) is also on
> the certificate, and he is the one who sold it to me.

All the things you describe sound like the real thing. Jaap and I have
talked quite a bit about his golden OM-1n (i.e. the one with the 50/1.4), as
well as about the one he was given by Olympus which had the 50/1.8 lens. He
did indeed mention the certificate. Also, if your camera does indeed look
the same as Jaap's one, I think you can rest assured that you have the real
thing. At least Jaap's camera is 100ertainly the real thing, so you could
of course always make a small trip to Rotterdam and compare the cameras (do
wait until after August 11th though)...

> The mounting rings on both lens and camera body are gold plated too.

Correct.

> Even the flash shoe type 4 has all metal parts in gold - but for the
> central contact, which is chrome again...

Sounds correct (don't know about the chrome on the inside, as Jaap has one
of those plastic protective pieces in the lash shoe).

> I will make some detailed pictures of the camera after my vacation
> trip, which starts tomorrow. I will unsubscribe from the list until
> August 20 or about that...

Right, so you'll receive this message rather late then, probably. Well, I've
CC'ed Jaap on the message, so he can perhaps help you out with the fine
details.

Cheers!
Olafo