Re: [OM] Golden OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Golden OM-1
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:22:22 -0400
I was curious to see if I could tell if the "lizard skin" covers on
these are the real thing.  My conclusion: probably not.  It is, I think,
the aftermarket embossed leather that Olympus sold in Japan in the early
80's.  There's a scan of one on John Hermanson's site, and it's clearly
intended to be applied by a novice (without taking apart the self-timer
arm), with an open gap between the self-timer and lensmount.  This is
just what you see on Duncan Meeder's photo at the Cameraquest site:

http://cameraquest.com/camsnet/OM1GOLD.htm

This makes some sense.  Embossed leather (with a "fake" scale pattern
pressed in) would give some consistency in color and texture that isn't
possible otherwise.  It's also alot cheaper.  If anyone knows where an
image of the back of the "Golden OM-1" can be seen, then I can give a
definitive answer to this important point of OM-trivia.

What I found more interesting is comparing Meeder's photo above with the
one that accompanies the recent eB*y auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1259664297

This camera has golden rings on the lugs, which may or may not have any
significance.  But the trim rings--below the rewind crank and the ASA
knob--are *black* on Meeder's picure and *chrome* on the camera just won
by Frank.

Morgan Sparks