Re: [OM] Pen FT

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen FT
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:26:57 -0700
The price of Nikon ED4000 is only $150-200 higher than Polaroid SS4000 here.
But imaging-resource's result seem a bit favor to SS4000's in resolution. I
have lost a bit confidence on Nikon's scanner, I have a LS10 since 93', then
the LS2000 in 98 (just a few months before the announce of SS4000). Cost
reduction or poor design make the LS2000 like a toy, the mechanical
vibration is so serious that affect the picture quality of 2700dpi scan. I
have to use 4x multi scan to eliminate the problem, taking the scanner to
Nikon service centre does not solve the problem, they just shown me a brand
new one that has the same problem and they said it was normal.

The problem is more obvious for thicker slides like Velvia and high contrast
lines, note the white lines, it should be straight of course:

http://www.glink.net.hk/~photogrp/LS2000-2.JPG

Actually I still not make up my mind on new scanner, the feeling was so bad
to invest on new technology, few years later your device is out dated and
value drop to almost zero. Also, I have to wait for a few months after I
recovered from the purchase of so many Pen gears :-)

C.H.Ling

Judging from feed back on a scanner list I am on, many people are having serious problems with the new Nikon scanners. Everything from hardware/software problems that cause banding in clear skies to inability to get them to work with Windows software. There are also a fair number of complaints of poor support from Nikon customer service.

I did a quick search on Google the other day and could find no information on Polaroid's financial difficulties that was not at least a year old. Is there anything going on currently? Have they solved their problems?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California