Re: [OM] Pen FT

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen FT
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:58:57 +0800
Same here, I have three Pen FTs, one for spare part. One with half
mirror replaced with an OM-1 mirror (trimmed). Replacing the mirror is
not a difficult job and you got a Pen FV. The Pen FT is quite
repairable, the shutter mechanism is well built and I think it rare
need spare parts except the half mirror and focusing screen. I think
they both are not available and you have to get a spare part camera
for it. The shutter of Pen FT is not very accurate (at least for four
Pen FT I have checked) but they are all within 1/3 stops except
1/500s, which is 0.7-0.8 stop over (slow).

I got my Pen system only around 4 months. Haven't pay with all lenses
I have (20/3.5, 38/1.8, 50-90/3.5, 70/2, 100/3.5 and 150/4). But
generally the lenses are very good especially the 38/1.8 and 50-90
zoom, the 70/2 seems to have lower contrast, I think it was design as
a Portrait lens. The 100/3.5 and 20/3.5 looked very sharp in my first
impression.

The frame size is a bit small that lead to a demand of a 4000dpi
scanner. Still thinking about to invest on a Polaroid SS4000 scanner
but the 3.4 DMax seems quite low for thicker slides.

C.H.Ling