Re: [OM] Pen FT

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen FT
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:51:41 -0400
Here's a post that I did over on the Olympus-Pen-RF list on that subject:

Mathamatically, I assumed that the "real" factor was related to the diagonal of the film format, which is the hypotenuse of the thus-formed right triange. So here are the diagnoal calcs:

Horiz     Vert        Diagnal        Factor
24        36         43.3
18        24         30.0          1.44

The 1.44 factor is then used for all conversions. I've seen magazines use 2x as the factor; but by emperical observation, that isn't right. 70mm lenses operate much as a 100mm lens on my OM's, and my calculations validate this observation:

Pen FT FL  35mm Equiv        "Standard" 35 lens FL
20         29                 28
25         36                 35
38         55                 50
40         58                 50
42         61                 50
60         87                 85-90
70         101                 100
100         144                 135
150         216                 200
250         361                 300-400
400         577                 600
800         1,154                 1000
50-90        72-130                75-150
100-200        144-288                150-300

I also inserted my opinion of the best match between the Pen F/FT lenses and "standard" focal lengths commonly offered sith 35mm SLRs. IMO, this validates Olympus' selection of the focal lengths as directly relating to 35mm and probably they used the same FOV from common 35mm lens lines of the time (as established by German mfgrs) to arrive at their line up.

But LOOK at the big honking FL on the 800: 1,154mm! During the 70's there were other 35mm SLR Mfgrs that brought out these big lenses in catadioptric format. I think I remember seeing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Contax, and Minolta all with an offering along the lines of a 1000/11 mirror lens.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx

This email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and posting purposes. I read the list via Hotmail.com or the web-based archives to keep the traffing down on my email account.

I will probably not notice any private messages addressed to this HOtmail.com email address.