Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 02:33:19 +0000
At 02:59 7/29/01, Charles Packard wrote:
I've been immersed in a programming project for nearly a year now and it is becoming increasingly difficult to separate work from the rest of my life. I do try and get away from it, but doing so leaves me tense and sometimes feeling guilty that I'm not working.
[snip]
How do you shift gears? Or put another way-- What do you do to mentally and
emotionally prepare for making photographs?
Just wondering....
-Charles Packard

This is an interesting question, not one I've given much thought to.
First, congratulations on thinking about "making" photographs (versus "taking" them).

I plan my photographic "treks" (sometimes no farther than the front/back yard). This includes defining a "vision" of what I want to make. Sometimes it's of a specific image, because I've been there before. Other times, it's not a specific image, but to tell a story, or capture the essence of an activity or location, however one defines the essence of something (shape, texture, color, how it came to be, or its purpose/actions related to its environs). Yet other times, it's serendipity. The opportunity arises unexpectedly, such as the visit of one of my wife's friends with her infant son. The interactions among the three of them had me grabbing the OM-2S with 50/1.4, a T-32, flipping the head up for bounce, and shooting over half a 36-exp roll of them playing with some enormous physical therapy balls on the floor (inflated balls over 2 feet in diameter). [Just got the K-64x24 of this back today and the yield was unexpectedly high with about four excellent ones, one of which reminds me of the last page of each issue of Life magazine.] Found when making photographs the rest of the world is set aside; complete immersion in camera and lenses, and intense thinking about what I'm doing with them to capture what's around me.

-- John