Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:42:23 -0400
Boy, you said a mouthful. I too work an insanely stressful job that takes up
most of my time. One of my stress outlets are hunting down and acquiring
different components to this excellent system. But even that does provide
enough of what I need to relax and get into the proper mindset for
photography. One way I'm trying is to get an extra body and lens and keep it
in my briefcase / backpack / office so I can shoot whenever the "mood"
strikes me (note that this solution justified another purchase,
heheheh....). I also relish the "assignments" that TOPE and ADITL provide.
This forces me to put aside some time to finish within the time period. I
also try to make it a habit to take along a single body / lens with me on
weekends even if I don't have any plans in mind to shoot (justifying an
eveready case...).

This helps a little. But the best way I have found to really get into the
creative mode is to disconnect from work / life as much as possible. This
means I pack the camera bag with my favorite film and gear and head off
specifically to take pictures. Pager, cell phone, etc are off. I usually
have no agenda except maybe the destination or type of subject matter. Even
that sometimes too much. Oddly enough, one of my favorite places to go when
work is consuming me is cemeteries. They are always peaceful and quiet and
usually present challenging lighting and textures to capture on film. One or
two rolls in there and I am usually ready to look at the world again
(through the viewfinder, of course!).

Mike V. <><