Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135

Subject: Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:22:31 -0700
CAN"T disagree, and I sure didn't mean to imply that I did somehow with my previous statement on tests.

Try to see me as I actually am. I run a taxi medallion for my livelihood. I used to be in the news game, which is where and why I got into the habit of taking pictures. The pictures I took along the way, the ones published, that is, were rendered in newspaper half-tones on newsprint, and critical quality off in the corners was never an issue. this many years down the line I tend to approach photography with the same, or similar, mind set and bent subject-wise. I look for history to record--people on the move, places of interest, events that shape the world. <g>

I don't know, but I think it's hard to embrace all of photographer and what goes into it and still be true to yourself. I think it's especially true that once we fixate too closely on the technical side that "creative vision" must suffer. I don't say ignore the details, they're always important, and if you run too far astray your work will show it right away. But there's something to be said for going out in a relaxed frame of mind there and just taking the damned pictures, too.

Where will you teach, Gary?

Tris