Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135

Subject: Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:26:19 -0700
on 7/26/01 3:55 PM, M. Sparks at msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't have any 2 series screens (yet) and I find the max. aperture of
> f/3.5 too be too dim.  Other than that it's a handy lens.  I don't have
> the 2.8 but it's gotta be brighter.
>
> One thing--ever notice how some lenses have a brighter finder image than
> others, even though they're the same speed?  My 35 2.8 is real dim; it
> seems dimmer than the 35-70 f/4, especially in the corners.
>
> The Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 will make you appreciate this focal
> length.  It's a big honker, but a neat design; focuses down to 3 ft. or
> less (floating element!) and the build quality is fantastic.  Hard to
> find in OM mount.  I'm still looking.
>
> Morgan Sparks

I think there is one at Adorama... I went there on a list member's
suggestion re) a 49-72 stepup ring, and they allowed entry of an online
order for that (supposedly discontinued, or at least hard to get) so I
looked around. I noted the Vivitar 135/2.3 in the list of used lenses for
Olympus that came up, I think that's what I saw, there were about 100 or so
lenses... as I have the Zuiko 135/3.5 (x2) and the 135/2.8 I don't need any
more at that focal length (horrors! what am I saying???) OK, I didn't buy
it, anyway! "Need" is such a subjective thing...
--

Jim Brokaw