Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135

Subject: Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:45:19 +0000
At 18:47 7/26/01, you wrote:
Is there anyone who would like to give their opinion about the virtues
of the 135/2.8 over the 3.5?  my disease is worsening, and I now believe
that one is soon destined for my camera case....

The 135/2.8 provides a brighter viewfinder and its 55mm filter ring matches the size found on all but a few of the other fast lenses (notably the 40/2 50/[1.2, 1.4, 1.8], and 85/2).

It's a very nice lens with excellent contrast and resolution. Yes, it is larger and heavier than the 135/3.5 but it's still smaller and lighter than all the other 135mm lenses I've seen, and better built than most of them.

The 135mm length works very well with the extension tubes for field macros, and the extra speed helps when you've got a couple of the longer tubes stacked behind it.

-- John