Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:13:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Walt Wayman wrote:

> If these things are intended to protect the rear element, it?s a lot longer
> than it needs to be on the 65-200 because the rear element doesn?t protrude
> under any circumstances, so shortening the horns won?t matter.  If these
> things are to prevent the use of certain lenses with the 2X-A, then I guess
> Olympus is saying some lenses, the ones listed on the converter, are ideal
> to use with it, others are okay if they fit, but they won?t say as much,
> and some are so unsuitable they?ve made it physically impossible to attach
> them.  I don?t buy that either.

The primary purpose of those tabs is to ensure the rear element isn't
damaged when the lens is being mounted to the body.  If you look very
carefully, you'll notice that the tabs are in the 6 o'clock position when
the lens is first inserted into the body.  On the newer lenses the tabs
are in the shape of a "ramp".  This is an improvement to help centre the
lens in the bayonette mount when the lens is being changed.  This is one
of those meticulous design features that Maitani is famous for.  The OM
system is filled with little features like this.
                                -mark