Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:13:22 -0700
on 7/19/01 1:57 PM, Walt Wayman at HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I seem to be full of questions lately.  There are two parts to this, and
> the question is at the end, so bear with me.

snip the (good) story...
> Now the question: Can anybody think of a reason why I shouldn?t take Dremel
> in hand and grind these things down a little?  About 1/16 or 1/8 in. is all
> it would take for the teleconverter to fit.  Of course, the lens would be
> fully protected in a plastic baggie and masking tape during this operation.
>

> Was this lens made by somebody else for Olympus?  Why are these ?horns?
> there and on none of the other Zuikos?  It?s a mystery to me, and I?m
> de-horning the thing this weekend unless somebody can tell me why I
> shouldn?t.
>
> Walt Wayman
Walt, I think those are so if you set the lens down in the end it doesn't
bend the little aperture operating pin, or the other one... several of the
Zuiko lenses (most assuredly made by Olympus!) have these little bumps. I'd
leave it on, or be very very careful in your grinding. You sure don't want
little bits of aluminum powdering the inside of the zoom mechanism.
--

Jim Brokaw