[OM] OM-4T strange behaviour

Subject: [OM] OM-4T strange behaviour
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:04:46 +0200
Hello everybody.
I'm back from a beautiful tour in Lofoten in the north of Norway. I just say: the midnight sun... unbelievable.

But! My OM-4T started acting very strange.

1) Suddenly in a shot, it locked up the mirror and started sounding like it got the hickups. I was able to release it with B-setting. It then behaved like batteries were out (beeping check, long shuttertimes etc); they were maybe one week old. I changed to a fresh pair of SR-44/357 batteries and everything went fine, until the next day: display disappeared, beeping whatever I did, mirror locked up... you name it.

Following symptoms happened _randomely_ and in maybe one shot out of ten:
- mirror lockup + display dead + silence
- mirror lockup + display dead + humming sound
- display going crazy, up-down-up-down...
- battery check beeps, auto beeps, manual beeps (with one day old batteries)
- display just won't show itself
- exposure compensator flickers on zero
- turning on the flash (F280) turns off the display
- etc. Some things happened together, all very randomely.

I, or rather my wife, suddenly came to think of that all this started after I bought the flash. Test with new batteries in camera (sigh!) works fine; until the F280 is fired. Display won't go on for the next shot.

Has anyone experienced prolems like these? Do I have a faulty flash, a faulty flashshoe or a faulty 4T-circuit. If I go to refund the flash I just know everything will work fine. This is a typical only-happens-when-you-least-need-it problem.

2) The following problem at least is physical. The shutterring is getting really hard to turn, almost like it's stuck . I know I have to get that professionally fixed, and maybe get a new ring or a new ball bearing (?) or something. Any wild guesses on the price for this?

I guess all this adds up to one thing: get that 2SP for a second body.

"Help me if you can, I'm feeling down..."
Henrik