Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:49:07 -0400
Hey Tom,
Thanks for posting the full size scan. How's the server holding out? ;-)
There's a lot of detail in the scan, even though the image is somewhat
monochromatic. It really tolerates a lot of magnification. I did notice a
lot of dust specs in the image. You just can't help but see them at that
resolution. The Digital Ice supposedly uses a 4th scan layer of infrared to
select the surface stuff and apply correction to those areas. Does Vuescan
do anything about the dust? I've not seen that type of process in its menus,
but then again, I haven't really figured it out. It's not designed in the
vein of most image processors.

There's info from the Digital Ice developer here:
 http://www.asf.com/products/ice/FilmICEOverview.shtml
There are many examples on the site for the ICE and other products as well.
It almost seems too good to be true. Can anyone with the Digital ICE product
vouch for the truth of their claims?

If nothing else, I have been convinced that I would be settling for less
with a 2700 dpi scanner. The way the price is dropping on the Sprintscan,
I'll wait.

Mickey