Re: [OM] [OT] Javascript on *Bay

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Javascript on *Bay
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:08:26 -0600
I agree with most of your comments regarding the use of javascript on
many e-Bay pages.  There's nothing I hate worse than being serenaded
by music (usually of a genre that I don't like), or being distracted by
"buy me!" cursor trails or dancing icons.  Bunch o' cr*p, IMHO, and
quickly causes me to hit the "back" button to get outta there!

All I really wanna do is display my images in a sized window that's
centered on the screen.  I *really* liked that javascript but, alas, the "I
love javascript but don't know what I'm doing" folks have apparently
ruined it for us "responsible" folks.  (SIGH!)  Oh, well!

Thanks for the comments....

Regards,

Chris

On 14 Jul 2001, at 9:14, Mike wrote:

> > I just tried to list some stuff on that auction site we all love to hate,
> > and couldn't because apparently they've banned javascript from the
> > listings. Is this right???  If so, why did they do that???
> >
> Chris, I think people abuse the use of javascript. I don't want to be
> zapped off to someones web site. So I turn off javascript when browsing.
> Actually with a slow connection I turn off images as well and only click on
> the ones I want to see. Some ebay pages are so loaded down with ghee wiz
> crap and getting so slow to load that I just skip those auctions. Seems
> that you are using javascript in the way it was intended but some users
> aren't and then there are the incompetent ones...
>
> Rant mode on:
>
> Web page designers ought to be forced to use a P60 running an old
> browser with a 28.8 connection just to see the what their creation may look
> like to a good share of the population.  And what happened to the text only
> version of web pages that used to be common? Do these people really thing
> that all this glitz and music is attractive? I for one don't even stick
> around to find out.
>
> Mike

---
I'm *not* a Zuikoholic....  I'm a Zuikohobbyist!
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca