Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:32:09 -0700
on 7/15/01 6:08 AM, Joel Wilcox at jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Tom,
> Ian Lyons has posted on the Filmscanners list that the SS120 is superior to
> the SS4000 in nearly every respect for 35mm, so I'd consider it an upgrade
> anyway. Perhaps you are right and there will be a new model strictly for
> 35mm, but I have my doubts.  Having broken the MF threshold where film still
> indisputably beats digital, they can scarcely go back, but what do I know?
> This is such a small, specialized market. How many machines can they put out
> there? They are certainly expensive:  in the $2500-3000 range I believe.
> There has been a civil but spirited discussion of the merits of the SS120 vs
> the Nikon ED8000 on the filmscanners list, without the usual
> Nikon/Polaroid//Mac/PC//Ford/Chevy dichotomies. The thing that Nikon has (in
> addition to its leviathan corporate muscle and name recognition) that the
> SS120 doesn't is digital ICE for dust and scratch removal. David Hemingway
> of Polaroid has indicated that serious photographers have not given this
> high priority, so Polaroid doesn't include it.  This may be a calculated
> risk that will hurt them because people who like ICE really like it and crow
> about it all the time.
>
> I can certainly recommend the SS4000 at the current prices!
>
> Joel W.

Joel -- I was considering the Acer Scanwit 2740S, which includes the ICE
capability. However, although it is a lower cost, it is also lower
resolution. I don't anticipate ever needing to scan larger than 35mm format,
but how would you evaluate the tradeoff in resolution v/s the ICE
capability? If the SS4000 is available at about $700 the cost difference is
only about $200 for the higher resolution. I anticipate that most of my
scanning will be for eventual output in high-quality inkjet printouts of up
to about 8x10, or possibly 11x14 if I buy a larger printer.
--

Jim Brokaw