Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:36:04 +0800
I have a Nikon LS2000 and also Vuescan, if you scanner does not have
ICE function Vuescan will not do a good job in removing dust, it will
only soften the picture. ICE is almost a must for negative, unless you
are willing to spend at least five minutes for dusting a frame with
Photoshop. ICE only gives slightly resolution lost with negative. For
slides it is not recommended, the resolution loss is very noticeable.

If dust is too fine to see in you picture, you also don't need
4000dpi, the dust usually larger than a few pixels. At the mean time
don't expect 4000dpi can give you 3 times the data, the test report
from www.imaging-resource.com shown that Nikon 4000ED resolve to 1800
lines, SS4000 to 2000 lines and LS2000 to 1600 lines. Please also note
they used Kodak Technical Pan film as the target, for normal slides
the different will be even less.

But for the current low price of SS4000 I will consider to buy one for
the 25 0mprovement.

You can check

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LS4K/L40PICS.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/SS4000/SS40PICS.HTM