Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:21:52 -0700
Skip wrote:

Oh yes, I was a poor teenager then, and spent many a day comparing features and price/performance of cameras around 1975-6. I really coveted a Cannot F-1n with an AE finder, and was considering a Nikkormat, but was finally convinced to go with the OM-1, partially on price and mostly because my high school yearbook used them and thus I gained access to tons of lenses and accessories. I still wonder where my photography would be today if I had ponied up for the F-1n...

Probably where I was. After my Leica was stolen I looked around, decided I could not afford a new Leica or Leicaflex, and settled for a Canon F1n. I had looked at the Olympus, but mistakenly decided I had to have a "professional" camera and the Nikon rewind lever poked me in the eye. Big mistake. I grew to hate its weight, unergonomic design, the fragility of its meter movement, the slap of the mirror that sounded like a hammer on an anvil. I used it less and less and did nothing to add to the little kit I acquired when I first bought it. I kept waiting to like it. Did not happen. Eventually, I decided that I missed photography and needed a camera would be a companion instead of a burden. I bought my OM4T just when the black version came out. I have never looked back.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California