Re: [OM] repair rip-off nightmare and thoughts 300mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] repair rip-off nightmare and thoughts 300mm f2.8
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 21:45:52 -0700
on 7/8/01 3:24 PM, Chris Charlton at c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> would take it back and calmly (as possible) explain
>> that you had left it
>> there with NO marks on the front element, and ask if
>> he can't replace it
>> entirely (at his expense, of course, since he is the
>> one who did the damage).
>
> I would too, take it back and ask him to replace the
> front element. If he refuses, tell him you'll have it
> repaired elsewhere and your solicitor will send him
> the bill, as far as he's concerned it will be cheaper
> to repair your lens properly than pay for legal
> representation etc. Don't use him for anything again,
> he sounds like a medium skilled "tinkerer" not a
> highly skilled individual.
>
> Chris

This 'repairer' did half what he should have. He did tell you about the
damage and admit that he caused it, which is likely because there is no way
you couldn't have noticed. Then he was less that honest in that it was 'all
wrapped up' when you came to get it... and that he unilaterally decided that
$20 was fair compensation for the damage. He knows that he's trying to get
away with something here... and you shouldn't take it. If you press him I
believe he will 'do the right thing' which in my opinion is (at your choice)
(1) get a new part and fix it, or (2) pay someone else (of your choosing) to
do the repair properly. Anything less is not the kind of person I would do
further business with, and I would make sure that *many* people were told of
your bad experience. Any serviceman earns his reputation repair by repair,
and if they screw one up and don't make it right they earn *that* reputation
as well.
--

Jim Brokaw