Re: [OM] repair rip-off nightmare and thoughts 300mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] repair rip-off nightmare and thoughts 300mm f2.8
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:31:52 -0700
John, you have a wealth of opportunity to make this right.

First of all, go back to the dealer, lens in hand, and explain to him (calmly, politely) just how feel inside. (Now I don't know, but if it were my lens trashed I'd be able to say that I felt "hurt and betrayed at the least.) Then let the shop person speak. If he doesn't offer to make it right (100% right) your next step would be to lean a bit on him and say something like, "Well, then I'm gonna be forced to go into small claims court with this matter. You might also tell him your conscience equally demands that you also approach the local Better Business Bureau and Chamber of Commerce, and maybe even have a chat with one or two local newspapermen you happen to know--if you happen to know any. Remain calm and polite throughout your presentation. then let this person respond. If he still hasn't gotten the idea, wish him a good day and simply follow through. Submit a claim in court, go down and discuss this incident in person with the appropriate people at the BBB and CC, then walk round to the paper and see if anyone there might be interested in this story. You might also check and see if there's a society or club or some other kind of network locally for photographic dealers and suppliers or whatnot and approach these organizations as well--always calm, always polite. You never know, but someone from around the community might take it upon himself, or his group or agency, to give a holler over to this camera shop to see what's going on. It can't hurt. Eventually your day in court will arrive, and if the judge is sober, if you remain calm and polite, you should do all right. (You sure can't do any worse.) Meanwhile, the shop guy who screwed might come round and give you call and try to make it right on his own in. If he does, all's fine.

I assume through all of this that you paid this gentleman cash. Yes? A check would be easy enough to cancel, a credit card would require a letter from you stating your reason for denying payment to this vendor--I believe all states afford you 60 days grace in this instance, but check to see what Washington law says. If you did pay cash, think again. I learned long ago not to pay cash for anything I truly valued. We live in strange times. Back in the heartland (I'm from northern Wisconsin) it might still be the case where community peer pressure is strong enough to dissuade otherwise honest men from these and similar dubious means and courses. Apparently this is not true for Olympia. And then again maybe this "friend" of yours is not an otherwise honest man.

It might also be that he is not aware of how severe the damage was to your lens's front element. That's not likely, but this is possible. You'll find that out fast enough when you take the lens back into him for your initial chat over this matter.

Finally, you need to re-examine your own actions. You didn't bother to inspect your lens on site upon receiving this article back from the repairman? What's that? Excuse me, John, but wake up! You owe yourself better treatment. For all you know this person might have screwed up without knowing it at all, and then where would you be? Without even morale high ground, that's where.

Wish you well.

Tris