Re: [OM] eBay BIN on a 35-70 f3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay BIN on a 35-70 f3.6
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:23:08 -0700
on 7/7/01 6:20 PM, O. Candemir at oben@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Excellent! :)
>
> I'd bought the 90mm f2 some weeks ago and didn't have the hood! I had just
> emailed the OM equipment supplier in Australia looking for one. They didn't
> have it! So if its true and I have no reason to doubt you, its a bonus to me!
>
> The picture has a slide on hood that looks rather long so yes I see what
> you mean. The 35-70 is meant to be a bayonet if I remember correctly.
>
> If anyone has a spare 35-70 f3.6 hood then I'd be interested in talking.
>
> Thanks
> Oben

The hood I have is a slide-on. It has molded into the rubber "35-70 3.6". It
is a very ingenious design. At the short focal length (35mm) the front lens
element moves forward (the lens gets longer) and so you don't vignette. As
you zoom the lens, the front retracts, so the lens hood functions to
properly block extraneous light for the 70mm length. I was astounded to see
how this worked, as any zoom lens hood must be a compromise unless the lens
and hood are designed as a system... as this one is. Olympus design wizardry
in your hand!
--

Jim Brokaw