[OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~

Subject: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:05:31 EDT
Dear List,

I went to our local photo store today to 'audition' a 'T-8 RingFlash 2',
which had been sent over for me to try.

The flash was to come with a T Power Control 1 attached, which apparently had
a missing calculator panel.

I entered the store and was confronted with the aforementioned T Power
Control 1 without calculator dial, but attached to this was a forward firing
flash unit which looked suspiciously like a T-10. I think I could see the
T-10 modelling lamps inside, and the finish of the unit was mainly black
(except for the flash bit of course!).

I thought "Ah, it's a T-10 then", but next to the simple on-off rotary switch
at the rear was the label "T-8 Ring Flash 2"! There were no metal diffusing
reflectors anywhere, and the unit is front-firing, so I am assuming it is
really a T-10. Anyway, I tried the flash and it fired OK with the test
button, and it showed flash ready, correct exposure and overexposure
indicators with my OM-2S once fitted and tried at different apertures and
working distances.

1. I am presuming that without the calculator dial in place, the OM ring
flashes operate in TTL mode? Am I correct? Someone kindly replied to my

2. Which model is it anyway? Why is it labelled T-8 Ring Flash 2 if it is a
T-10? The outside part rotates presumably to allow you to screw the unit into
the 55mm or 49mm filter threads of your lens (again like the T-10).

3. Is the 49/55mm screw thread attachment common to the T-8 and T-10. Are
they interchangeable between the two models? That's the only explanation I
can speculate on, but I dont know the units except from OM brochures. If so
then the unit I have looked at has been cobbled together, hasn't it, from
various bits of units lying around, and I could maybe haggle for a real
bargain since it seems to work! Or just leave it.

Any advice/info much appreciated.

Dave Bellamy.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/