Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 19:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Yes I am certain that this flash unit fired forwards. In fact it looked
> really like a T-10, except fot the label on the back which read "T-8 Ring
> Flash 2"!. All the fittings were black and the 49/55mm filter threads were
> there too. Infact, it looked nothing like a T-8 at all really!

I don't know then, all I can think of is that someone may have "fixed" a
T-10 using a T-8 back plate.  They look exactly the same except the T-8 has
an additional aluminum mounting ring screwed on to it.  Here's a scan of the
front and back sides of a real T-8 and T-10.

http://olympus.dementia.org/pictures/T-8.jpg
http://olympus.dementia.org/pictures/T-10.jpg

Compare those to what you're seeing.

> My suspicion is that it could be T-10 mounted into/onto the 49/55mm filter
> thread adaptor for a T-8 if that is possible! But I didn't want to try to
> take it apart in the shop, break it, then hand it back to the manager and
> say, "No thanks; I dont want it!"

The threaded ring is on a completely different part than the metal backing
which says T-8 or T-10.  Even if you damaged the threads, you wouldn't need
to change the part that has the name on it.  Maybe somone just didn't like the
T-8 and really wanted a T-10 instead :-)
                                        -mark