Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling

Subject: Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling
From: "Scott Nelson" <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:14:12 -0400
What makes you think UPS and/or USPS don't X-ray packages? Your best option is
to carry your film in clear baggies and have it hand checked. However, every
X-ray operator is now convinced that the X-ray machines at the terminal are
"film safe." This doesn't account for cumulative exposures however. On a recent
trip to Thailand, I passed through X-ray checks three times in each direction.
Your second best alternative is to just send your film through the X-ray
machine. Under no circumstances should you pack film in your checked baggage.
As an anti-terrorist measure, airports have installed new more powerful X-ray
machines for checked baggage that will fog your film quite nicely.

>>> NSURIT@xxxxxxx 21:37:18 06/26/2001 >>>
I will be taking a 10 or 12 day trip this summer and will be taking several
domestic flights going and coming.  What suggestions might list members have
about traveling with exposed and unexposed film and going through the
security systems at the airport?  What is the risk?  I will be traveling to
Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. Had thought about shipping my film via UPS or
the USPS to  my hotel and then once I'm off the cruise shipping it back home
to avoid the X-ray machines at the airport.  My expectation is having 20-30
rolls of film.  You help, advise and experience is appreciated.  Bill Barber