Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling

Subject: Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:09:05 EDT

 No Problem.
 Last year I travelled to the far corners of the world and the United States
 and I travelled with 40-60 rolls of film at a time and had no problem having
 the film hand checked.  I had the film in clear containers (like Fuji film
 comes in) in 2 large ziplock bags.  I had the film out and held the bags
high
 and I was greeted well from Seattle to Tokyo to Kathmandu. At most the film
 had a quick look over and  I was on my way.
<<<
My experience is much more variable.
In the US apparently the law allows for hand inspection and I have had good
luck usually with that.

What happens at some larger airports is the put it on the bomb sniffer
machine (No Xrays).

Novoflex lenses with pistol grip are often not picked up on xray(!) but when
they are you have a lot of talking to do.

Internationally (Like Namibia last year,and London some years ago) you
sometimes are forced to put it through the machines. If however, you have
1000+ film like Delta 3200. they will usuall allow a hand search, but you
have to point out the high speed film and make a fuss. So take a box or two
of 3200 film.

Some airports don't like the see through canisters like Fuji (means you
opened the cardboard box) but will accept closed cardboard boxes!
Others make you open cardboard boxes. You can't win because the next airport
usually wants the reverse!

Look out for the high dose X-ray machines at a few international airports.
They usually are marked as film unfriendly but the security staff don't
always alert you.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes