RE: [OM] Question on loading film.

Subject: RE: [OM] Question on loading film.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:38:02 -0700
Just easier is to switch to manual when loading the film. Then it doesn't matter whether the cap is on or not, because it will fire with the settings on the camera regardless of the light.

Winsor

Parzival,

The only reason I can think if is that if the camera is in auto mode, the
shutter will lock open for quite a while while the meter attempts to get
enough light to make what it thinks is a correct exposure.  This would not
only make loading the film take a while, but might frighten someone not
savvy as to what's happening into thinking that their camera was broken.

Dave

I've just got a used OM4-T, and I am becoming familiar with the
beast by perusing the manual found at the e-SIF site. I notice that
the manual recommends threading the film, closing the back, then
"face the camera towards light and take two blind shots."  The
manual specifically recommends against covering the lens and
taking (dark) shots to advance the film to the first frame.

Now, I have always done the latter (covered the lens and shot to
advance to frame 1). Here I find that this is "not OK" according to
Olympus, but they do not offer a reason. Can anyone enlighten me
on the rationale for this method of loading film? Might not an
image appear on part of the leader, causing Walmart to print an
unintended print? Is harm caused by my old uneducated practice?

- Parzival

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx