[OM] Question on loading film.

Subject: [OM] Question on loading film.
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:06:02 -0500
I've just got a used OM4-T, and I am becoming familiar with the beast by
perusing the manual found at the e-SIF site. I notice that
the manual recommends threading the film, closing the back, then "face the
camera towards light and take two blind shots."  The
manual specifically recommends against covering the lens and taking (dark)
shots to advance the film to the first frame.

Now, I have always done the latter (covered the lens and shot to advance to
frame 1). Here I find that this is "not OK" according to
Olympus, but they do not offer a reason. Can anyone enlighten me on the
rationale for this method of loading film? Might not an
image appear on part of the leader, causing Walmart to print an unintended
print? Is harm caused by my old uneducated practice?

- Parzival