Re: [OM] DeFanged + Rewind Crank - Another Problem to fix ?

Subject: Re: [OM] DeFanged + Rewind Crank - Another Problem to fix ?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Grip the flat sides of the end of the rewind shaft from the outside with
> needlenose pliars, down where the fork is.  In other words, turn the
> shaft so you can see between the legs of the fork -- now turn it 90
> degrees -- see how the legs of the fork are flat when viewed from the
> side?  Put your pliars on the _flats_ of the fork.  DON'T put anything
> _between_ the legs of the fork -- if you spread the fork, it will stick
> in the collar when you pull it up to open the back.

A safer method which I use is to use an old 35mm film spool (the black
plastic centre part of a 35mm film cartridge).  If you don't have one
handy, go down to your local photo finisher, they'll probably have hundreds.
Put the spool in the camera and then insert a slot screwdriver into the
slot in the spool where the film goes.  Hold the screwdriver as you unscrew
the rewind knob.  Presto, the rewind knob comes off and the forks aren't at
risk of being bent and/or scratched.
                                        -mark