[OM] Battery-Munching OMs. Any retrofits ever tried?

Subject: [OM] Battery-Munching OMs. Any retrofits ever tried?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:44:36 EDT
Dear list,

Has anyone ever proposed any kind of retrofit to fix the battery-devouring
properties of the OM2SP/3/4 ?

I have my own 4 suggestions (which are probably being proposed for the 1000th
time I know, but I am new to the list):

1. Make a new battery compartment cover with a bit of insulating material
which can be slid across to disconnect the batteries!
2. Wire up an off switch to a position on the exposure compensation dial
(tough if you want that minus 1 and two thirds stops!)
3. Wire up an off switch to the Auto/Manual switch (but no room for another
position on the OM-2SP especially and maybe putting another click stop on the
lever can't be physically done)
4. (The one I like!): Wire up an off-switch to the self-timer lever so that
pushing it to the left switches the entire camera off, rather than just the
beeper.
Oh yes, and:
5. (The one I like even more!): Wire up an off-switch to the self-timer lever
so when you push it to the right it beeps for 20 seconds and then turns the
camera off. Great for that guy that buys the camera from you and then goes to
take that all important shot of himself and his mates outside the pub one
night!).

Dave Bellamy.
http://hometown.aol.com/sitesearch/