Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:47:20 +0100
John A. Lind wrote

> ...An important note about using one:
> Ensure you set the plunger travel properly on it.  The ones I've seen have
> an adjustment for this.  If the plunger travels too far and too forcefully
> it can damage the internals of the shutter release.  It should only travel
> far enough to reliably trip the shutter release; no farther.

Amen to that. They're called Autoknips and very violent in action they are
too. I remember playing with them on the counter when I was a photographic
salesman and watching them jump. I can't imagine any shutter needing that
much 'fire power' to release it and I would never risk using one on any
camera of mine.

John H warned us a while ago about the damage a soft release could inflict
to a linkage in some OMs and I'd assume the same danger exists with
operating one of these things if you forget to wind on.

OTOH you could safely use one if you set it up to close a switch on the end
of a lead plugged into a Winder RC socket.

Regards,
- Keith Berry