Re: [OM] Filter Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Quality
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:35:05 -0700
Just got that 300mm lens from Tom Scales.  As you all know the lens has a
72mm front on it.  As I intend to use it for photographing shore birds and
the like and at the zoo, I think I should put a UV filter on it to protect
the front element.  I also feel a Polarizer would be useful when shooting
over water, etc.  The integral lens hood needs to be able to slide out over
the filter.  So the polarizer will have to have a ring the same diameter as
the lens barrel.

So, the question is, what brand?  I would appreciate the wisdom of the group.

Dave Dougherty

You might look at Gary Reese's test of a Leitz 90mm Summicron lens with and without B&W(high quality) filter and note the degradation of the image. Many of us use lens caps for protecting the front element and take it off when you are ready to make the photograph.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California