[OM] Problems with OM's

Subject: [OM] Problems with OM's
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:13:33 +0100
damage to
the rest of the body ?

I can understand these faults in cameras in a pawnbroker, but how could they
get
through in a camera shop ?

Wayne Harridge<<<<<

Subject: Re: [OM] Problems with OM's

Atleast 2 of those bad 4s could be  defective from outside influence.
Cracked screen (or mirror) = impact damage.  Non-working spot/memo function
from a clipped spot switch (non-Olympus lens accessories).

Were these all purchased brand new by you or did you get someone else's
problems passed on to you by a  camera shop?

John  Hermanson<<<<<<<<,,

We have a disease here in the UK affecting 2nd hand cameras called
"Jessops".  It looks alarmingly like a chain of camera shops who market a
huge range of camera equipement, accepting your pride and joy as a trade in,
but in reality it's an absolute lottery buying anything pre-owned, because
in my experience they don't check out stuff they trade in.  I was offered
£30 for a knackered 35RD last year, despite the fact that it was completely
unuseable.  When I pointed out that it was nothing more than a paper weight,
the pimply salesman said "Oh, I don't think it matters...I'll check with the
boss."  When the boss came back, he asked me if I was *sure* it was US,
staring blankly through the viewfinder.
It's no wonder that five of the list I posted earlier came from Jessops.
I too, couldn't believe the cracked screen, especially as this was the third
of four OM-4's they offered me to replace the original one I bought which
unfortunately had a damaged circuit (no flash).  How could they not notice a
cracked screen?  "They must've thought it was just a hair," one of them
mumbled.  In addition, the screen frame was bent so when you tripped the
shutter, the screen and frame popped down.  It must've been some impact, as
I've clattered my OM-3 at full speed against a rockface (and me, too!)
hitting the hotshoe hard enough to leave it sitting at an angle....no other
damage to OM-3, (or 24/2.8)  funny bruise in the shape of the bottom of an
OM on me!  On the other hand, it could've been somone footering with it who
damaged it and then, thinking it was terminal, traded it into Jessops.  Or
even someone in Jessops itself, who knows?

To be absolutely fair to Jessops, they did make good all this nonsense and
gave me a free 2-13 screen, some filters and some process-paid K64 as
compensation, which encouraged me to go back and try again....thus the
OM-2SP.  To be fair, they couldn't realistically've known about that, and I
ended up with a rather nice iS-2000 for the same price (£145).  So they're
not all bad.
The other 4 had a faulty shutter release and a damaged memo/clear lever,
 no longer spring loaded, it just flopped about.).  It looked to be as
though someone had bodged a repair job, possibly the spot/highlight/shadow
buttons wouldn't work, and I seem to remember the led wouldn't light.

I should point out these were all 2nd hand bodies....the only new OM I ever
bought was an OM-40 in 1986, which worked very well.  And my OM-3 has only
had minor problems which have been suceessfully resolved, and is still spot
on after, what, 18 years?  I should, I suppose, stop being so bloody stingy
and get a new OM4Ti....
Dave