[OM] Problems with OM's

Subject: [OM] Problems with OM's
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:32:36 +0100
George S wrote:

>>BTW- The 'battery drain problem' of the -2SP would only make itself known
if
you do a lot of flash shooting, and, of course, the flash would have to be
'on' and not just mounted on the shoe, so it may never show up. Just leave
the flash off during slack times in your shooting. This is just one more
example where we scare each other into believing there's a real problem with
an OM body when there may be only a very small chance of it ever affecting
us. We talk about it because we are 'informed' by belonging to this list. If
we weren't members, we'd probably never find out about some things.

I'm not sure I agree....the OM-3/4 battery drain p**b**m is something I knew
about in 1986, when I was first buying SLR's, and it put me right off until
coming across this list, and all the other related OM info on the web,
convinced me that having an OM-3 (or a 4 for that matter) with a p**b**m
circuit is no problem at all, especially when I was starting to realise that
a superNikcanonon would eat 2 £10 Li batteries in 20 36exp rolls of film.

But it did get me thinking about something.  I hope I'm just very unlucky,
but I thought I'd share with you the list of OM bodies I've inspected with a
view to purchasing or have purchased, which have turned out to be faulty.

An OM-2....currently looking at this body in a local camera shop (Quiggs in
Glasgow, for all you UK listees).  It has a problem with auto exposure in
that the mirror lock ups and the shutter stays open until the shutter is set
to "b", when it all resets.  They are having a look at it, they think a
little corrosion somewhere, and I may succumb if it's fixed, but....

An OM-2n..failed flash exposures (admittedly resolved by fitting a new
shoe4)

An OM-2SP with the dreaded "Flying shutter strings"

(Prepare yourself......) 5 (five) OM-4's with a variety of faults including
total circuit failures (x2) wrecked iso setting ring, cracked screen, broken
memo/clear lever, faulty shutter release, unpredictably erratic exposures.

An OM-40 which intermittently failed to fire the flash.

And finally, my beloved OM-3, which developed a sticky shutter speed ring
until *I* fixed it.  Boy was I chuffed!

Is it just me?  or are other coming across similarly knackered second hand
stuff?  Is it getting harder to find good used stuff as time goes on?
(Dreadful thought)

Cheers
Dave