Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop

Subject: Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:53:55 -0300
On 5/31/01 12:36 PM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Of course I requested for a refund, the seller agreed, I spent over $30 to
> ship them back. After the seller received the stuffs, he requested me to
> post a positive feedback to him first before refund! It is absolutely
> impossible, if I post him a positive feedback that means the deal is
> completed satisfactorily and I don't think he will send the money back. I
> had refused, then he told me he will ship back the stuffs to me.

I don't think it's too bad to ask for positive feedback in the case of the
refund but I think it's ridiculous to expect it before the refund has been
given. A suitable feedback might be, "Seller gave full refund when I was
unsatisfied with the items", or something similar. As far as I'm concerned,
it's the feedback that talks about how a seller deals with a problem that is
the most important. For instance, when I bought my OM-1n, I didn't hear from
the seller for about a week. It turns out that his computer had crashed and
was in the shop, so he wasn't able to send the item (had my address on his
computer). Now, he did get back to me at the end of the week and I would've
been perfectly happy with that explanation. I hadn't even expected to see
the body yet. But instead, he offered to ship it express at his expense, and
threw in some filters too.

So I made sure that my feedback mentioned this, rather than just saying
something like, "A+++", I said something like, "great seller, shipped item
by courier at his expense when delayed in sending item." He thought it was
great.

My thinking is that it should be a positive feedback whenever the sale has
been resolved in a satisfactory manner. If that means that the item had to
be sent back for refund (but that the seller was good about it), then that's
still fine.

The changed email story is a bit shady though. Ebay allows you the
functionality to change your email address, you don't need to re-register.
That really sounds like the seller was trying to eliminate his old feedback
profile.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx