Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop

Subject: Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:36:30 +0800
You are not alone, around two months ago I bought a Pen outfit at ebay from
Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1223311165

You can see the description the seller said the camera and 38/1.8 is near
Mint, the glasses of the 50-90 zoom and the 38/1.8 are in "exceptional
condition". So I had paid a very high bid of that. When the stuff arrived, I
found the 38/1.8 has serious fungus marks on both front and rear elements.
The 50-90 is the same plus many layers of the internal elements looked fog.
For the camera, it has a few scratches at the bottom plate, the name plate
at the flash terminal was missing, the self timer does not work, the mirror
has silver peel off, there was lots of fungus inside the finder, but it does
have a near mint top cover, that's all.

Of course I requested for a refund, the seller agreed, I spent over $30 to
ship them back. After the seller received the stuffs, he requested me to
post a positive feedback to him first before refund! It is absolutely
impossible, if I post him a positive feedback that means the deal is
completed satisfactorily and I don't think he will send the money back. I
had refused, then he told me he will ship back the stuffs to me.

After around 10 days I still not got the delivery and at the mean time I
found his was disappeared from ebay, he was no longer a valid ebay seller! I
send him a few email but they were bounced back. Finally I contacted him by
fax and I got a email reply that he has changed email address and one day
later he was re-registered ebay with new email address.

Okay at last the stuffs are arrived again and he told me refund was still
welcome! Will you pay the shipping game with him again!? No! of course,
finally he agreed on partial refund ($150) for the trade of a positive
feedback and the deal was finished.

I have spent a whole day to clean the camera and lenses, finally I go
something that can only be said as usable. That was the only bad deal I have
in ebay but certainly I will not spend that much again on someone that I
didn't know.

C.H.Ling