Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop

Subject: Re: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop
From: "Dr. Oben Candemir" <dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 00:37:16 +1000
I agree with the semantics in your post George, and the earlier post by Bill that mistakes were possible.

Its just that to have an item described as Mint- and find it teaming with fungus. It is a more of a shock when it is from an experienced dealer and not a non knowledgeable private seller. Having paid a premium price for it makes it even harder to accept. When you have paid $28 in shipping its harder still. When you've paid another (difficult to refund) $30 in GST in duties before getting a look inside the box you get pretty short tempered.

This was not just a spot of fungus mind you on a deep internal element. This is naked eye stuff. You can see it under the front element and on two other lens surfaces. No loupes needed. Just look and its there. In Australia we would classify it as "Dog's Balls" type.

I suppose I was angry at myself in a way too. After seeing the obvious fungus I went to Cameta's site and looked in detail at their descriptions and greater than 900f the items are classed as mint or mint-. A very trigger happy grader obviously that I had not really questioned. On the site they say (quote) "This condition rating system applies to cosmetic appearance only. All items are in proper working order unless otherwise noted. All optics are clean, clear, and performing as originally intended by the manufacturer unless otherwise noted." So obviously they need to take some more care.

Cameta had put in the shipping box a bag of sweets (candy) with a business card from Bill Cameta saying "Enjoy your purchase". At the moment I saw the fungus, I looked at the lollipop and thought... nice... their goods come along with the ideal accompaniment saying "you sucker... suck on this".

And yes I am willing to concede that it may indeed be a mistake. A mistake that judging from your statements about your dealings won't cost me my money. If they can concede that they made a "mistake" and refund the cost of the lens plus BOTH ways shipping costs then I won't have been burnt. (Assuming also that I am able to get my paid GST duties back also). As it stands I'm down at least $30 and perhaps $58. But I've got a lollipop to suck on should I wish. Haven't I?

I'll keep you posted.

Oben