[OM] Zuiko 300mm meets concrete :(

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300mm meets concrete :(
From: Barry Brown <bb_olympus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:20:40 -0700
Ugh.  I just have to express my disappointment.

Last weekend I went on a driving trip into the Sierra Nevada with the
intention of taking some pictures.  I brought all my camera gear.  Although
I set up the tripod and put the camera on it several times, I ended up not
taking any pictures because the lighting just didn't do it for me.  I've
promised myself that I'm going to return this coming weekend and arrive very
early in the morning to catch the first rays of light on the east side of
Donner Summit.

Upon returning home, I pulled my camera bag out of the car, but I had
forgotten to zip up the special pocket in my Tamrac bag that the telephoto
lives in.  Out my 300mm Zuiko flew and landed on the concrete -- a fall of
about 3-4 feet.  It made the most sickening "thud" sound.

I picked it up fearing the worst, but it seems to have fared well.  The
filter ring is dented on one side, as is the lens hood.  Some of the black
anodization on the hood has come off.  The glass itself has no visible
damage.  However, my near-mint lens is no longer near-mint.

If there is no obvious damage to the glass, do these things typically
survive falls like this?  Will the picture quality be diminished?  If not,
then they are built much better than I imagined.

I've ordered a filter ring vise from Micro-Tools.  I can live with the loss
of the anodization, but I'd like the filter ring round again.  I figure that
if a lens doesn't eventually take some beating, then I'm obviously not using
it enough.  Camera gear should be for taking pictures, not sitting on a
shelf.  Heaven knows my OM bodies have taken some abuse, as evidenced by the
brassing.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Barry Brown