Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm meets concrete :(

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm meets concrete :(
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 11:49:33 +1000
Here's the page -
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/filterringtool.html
I've had great success too with this method on many lenses. I prefer a
piece of 3/4" wide, thin flat strap as a punch - one cut to the inner
profile of the filter ring for finishing and a narrower nosed one for
starting off. The hardest was a 50/3.5 macro (the only Zuiko I've done) as
it seemed to be of a harder alloy and the injury also involved the aperture
ring (big hit from the side by the look of it) so that when I'd beaten out
the dint, the aperture ring was a little stiff for the middle of its range
- obviously a little out of round too. I can live with it, given the saving
over a cosmetically good example.
The biggest problem is having the nerve to hit it hard enough - a series of
small taps is required but they have to be very firm taps. A small wooden
mallet works well. Practice on a junk lens first! Keep testing with a
filter until it screws in smoothly.
AndrewF