Re: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors
From: Michael & Angela Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:06:34 -0700
>At 18:31 5/23/01, James Kiker wrote:
>>I have an assignment at work tomorrow to photograph a man at work in
>>front of two computer monitors (under fluorescent lighting).
>
>Clyde Soles wrote in reply:
>You must shoot 1/60 or slower. Forget Provia, it'll be a color
balancing
>nightmare (green overhead and blue from the screens). Go with print
film
>and life will be easier. If you have to shoot chrome, then you'll need
an
>FL filter (or replace bulbs with daylights). Normally shots like that
are
>done with studio lighting and multiple exposures.
>
>Good luck

James,
  I too can second (third?) these comments.  In college I was the
subject of just such a photo.  Much to my chagrine it was there 12 years
after my graduation.  The photographer tried at first to do it in one
shot, i.e. people and monitor all at once, but this failed.  In the end
he turned out all of the lights and blacked out the room.  We (the human
subjects) held position for a minute or two to burn in the monitor and
then at the end he flashed the studio lights.  I felt a bit like a model
for a painter after 15 seconds and remaining motionless for 2 minutes
was really tough.  Being the good photographer he also bracketed shots
four or five ways.  The end result probably needed work in the dark
room  to make the 24" x 36" print but looked pretty good all in all.
Hope  your shoot goes well,

Mike Butler
Dublin, California