RE: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors

Subject: RE: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors
From: "Kiker, James" <jkiker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:25:47 -0500
< <snip> Forget Provia, it'll be a color balancing nightmare <snip>

Bruce and Clyde, Thanks for the advice on shooting the monitors.  The
funny thing is, we're a startup company, so there's almost zero budget
for this project.  I volunteered, because I found the marketing guys
trying to do the shoot today with a midrange consumer digital camera (my
normal job is software development).  As I mentioned, the final product
will be a digitally manipulated montage 3 feet high by 15 feet wide,
showing the "design chain" of our target audience, so they would
probably end up with 2 inch square pixels at that kind of magnification.
I'm using Provia because that is the only color 4x5 film I have on hand,
and they need it tomorrow.  I shared my concerns about color balance,
but they said they'd balance it out with Photoshop.  It's all a little
iffy, but I'm hoping the results will beat what they could've gotten
with the digital camera (happened to be Olympus -- obligatory Olympus
content :))  Anyway, I'll try to shoot it at 1/4 second or so to
minimize the effect of the monitors, and I'll talk to them about doing
it separately, since they're already planning to manipulate it with
PhotoShop.  That may be the best solution, as far as balancing the
lighting is concerned.  Thanks again for the suggestions!