[OM] Macro Questions

Subject: [OM] Macro Questions
From: "Mike Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:35:33 -0500
Over my photographic life, I've really enjoyed taking the occassional closeup
picture of flowers.  This would be with whatever lens I might have at hand,
typically a 50mm.  I never could quite get close enough though (surprise
surprise).
  I've never owned a macro lens but plan to acquire one (used, of course) this
summer.  I think it's best if I get some questions out of the way now so I can
better narrow down which macro to get.  I've researched in the archives plus
used google to search the newsgroups, but I'm still at a loss as to which macro
to obtain.

My first thought was to get one of the 50mm macros.  I already have a 1.2, 1.4
(high serial nbr), and several 1.8 lenses, so I don't plan on using a 50mm macro
as my "normal" lens.  Most of my reasoning here is that a 50mm would be easier
to hand hold than the 90.  Can a 50 be successfully hand held in daylight
conditions
and take an adequately sharp photo, assuming focusing on a flower at minimum
focusing distance (without extension tubes)?  I don't have a clue about depth
of field with a macro, so I could imagine a small f-stop requiring a shutter
speed that wouldn't be advisable hand held.  If I've got to use a tripod anyway,
I assume I would be better off with the 90mm.  True?  False?  Care to comment?

I'm also considering some other Olympus acquisitions this summer.  I hope to
engage in some trading (perhaps with cash from one party or the other) when
the time comes, so it may be that my 1.2 (and perhaps my 1.4) will be in play
along with some other lenses (24 f2.8, 35-70 f3.6) & accessories.  I might wind
up needing (okay, wanting) a 50 macro (even if I also get the 90).  From my
research, I've seen it claimed that the 50 f3.5 is actually sharper at macro
distances than the f2 (which is better than the 3.5 as a normal lens).  Agree?
 Disagree?  I've also seen a list member or 2 rave about intangibles associated
with pictures taken with the 3.5 (plasticity, leica-like, etc.).  Anyone care
to expound upon such immeasurable qualities of any of the macro lenses?

Thanks for any info you can provide.  I know you'll all be in total agreement
so my choices will be easy.  :-)

Mike W.