[OM] Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8

Subject: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:59:54 +0100
Dear troops,

A wee query for you all.  I'm hoping that someone out there has used both
the Vivitar Series 1 35-85 f2.8 and the Zuiko 35-80 f2.8, and can answer a
question for me, the reason being that I've got the aforementioned enormous
Vivitar, and whilst I'm more than happy with the sharpness,
the bokeh isn't the greatest, and doesn't compare to either my 135/2.8 or my
65-200/4.  I understand that both of these Zuikos have 8 bladed apertures,
against the 6 blades of the Vivitar, and I believe the Zuiko 35-80 has 9
blades, is that right?  How do the two compare, in terms of bokeh and
sharpness / contrast / resolution?  I've seen Gary's lens test data, which
seems to indicate that the Vivitar isn't far behind the Zuiko at least
sharpness wise, but an impression from someone who has used both would be
helpfull.  I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile saving up for the super
Zuiko, or should I extend my outfit with a 300/4.5, which I've also been
considering, along with a 2nd OM body, (probaby an OM-2).  Current outfit is
OM-3
24/2.8
S1 35-85/2.8
65-200/4
135/2.8
Winder 2
QA310
iS-2000.
I've recently being doing football (soccer) shots for my Dumbarton FC daft
exiled brother, and will be over the summer shooting my car obsessed 20 year
old wee brother's first forays into flinging his terrifyingly fast car
around a race track, so a 300/4.5 would probably be more use.  I was on the
cusp of getting a B-300 covertor but the chance seems to have passed me by,
sadly.   I'm in a bit of a quandy, especially since I may be be in a
position
to aquire a number of items later on this year or early next.
What do I do?
Dave