[OM] OM4T mount question

Subject: [OM] OM4T mount question
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:57:20 +0100
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I bought an OM-4T. Absolutely love it. But.... seems the bayonet mount stop
slot is slightly worn. <<snip..
I suspect that I'd have to change the bayonet mount on the OM-4T in not now,
sometime down the road. Can the part be had, and can this be done at home?
Cost?<<snip

You shouldn't have a problem replacing the mount yourself, and they are
available as replacement parts from Oly, sorry don't know the part nos.
I had a sticking (and grinding!) shutter speed ring on my OM-3, which the
local camara shop tried (and failed) to resolve.  I was in dire staits,
worried that it was the end, so I took my life on my hands and had a shot
myself.
So, from that fraught experience, some tips...
1)  Do the work on a white sheet.  Some little bits, including a tiny
spring, very very very easy to loose......very very very hard to find.  I
speak from painful experience.  The spring is the spot reset pin spring.
The spot reset pin isn't actually attached to anything, and although it
thankfully doesn't leap out at you when you remove the mount, it will
roll around annoyingly whilst your 4 year old bangs in to the table as you
are footering about with some or other wee bits, at the same time as your 2
1/2 year old falls off the back of the sofa and starts screaming.  Painful
experience again....thus:
2) Make sure your kids (if you have any) are elsewhere or occupied, ideally
in another country.
3) Don't touch the shutter speed ring whilst the mount is off.  The outer
ring moves an inner ring which actually turns the gear in the floor of the
mirrorbox, and if these get out of synch, you can end up with a situation
where the display will read 1/4s, whilst the outer ring is set to 1/60s,
whilst the damn camera fires at 1/2s.  Again, painful experience.  It took
ages to sort out, although I was lucky that the OM-3 makes a tiny mechanical
noise when you alter the shutter speed from 1/30s to 1/60s, different
governor I suppose, and thus I was able to figure it all out, having tied
the children up.  Only kidding.
Other than that, the mount is a relatively easy bit to remove.  When I
sorted my OM-3, I removed all sorts of dried up gunk, flakes of splintered
plastic, hairs, etc, cleaned some corrosion off the tiny ball bearing,
applied tiny amount of Lithium grease to the bits, and now have a
fantastically smooth shutter speed ring, not a trace of stiffness except for
the change between 1/8th and 1/15th (due to a broken tooth on the outer
ring...awaiting parts to replace that), but still with very positive clicks.
I'm chuffed to bits, of course.
In all this I'm assuming that there is not much difference between an OM-3
and OM4T shutter speed ring.
HTH
Dave