Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Finally Got Some Photos on the Web
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:42:32 +0100
Bruce Appelbaum says

> Thanks to all for your comments on my slides.  For those
> who missed the original post, my web site is

> www.bestweb.net/~brucea

Thanks Bruce, I enjoyed the pix.

I've not been to Petra but it looks like an amazing place. Your shot
from the narrow path in the way in is very atmospheric. It reminds me
a bit of the pix of the slot canyons in the US (?Arizona?) that some
of our members have posted. Petra must be crawling with tourists, so
well done on catching a clear view!

The shipbreakers shot is interesting too. We had some chat on the list
a month or so back about the great Portugese photog Sebastiao Salgado.
A few years ago he had a touring exhibition and book called "Workers".
Each section was a study of the workers in a particular area, such as
the oilfields of Azerbidjan and the sulphur miners in Indonesia. One
of his topics was the ship breakers at Chittagong, Bangladesh. Roughly
the same latitude as yours, but the other side of India. He has some
splendid shots of them, well worth seeking out. Try looking in Amazon
for Salgado - I think "Workers" is still available, and I also have a
small book of his work from a French series called "Photo Poche".

A suggestion for the web page - don't have all the images on the one
page. It takes a while to load on our creaky old phone lines, and I
find pages structured like yours have an irritating habit of loading
several images simultaneously which means you can't enjoy the early
ones while the later ones are still loading. You could be smart and
put thumbnails on the main page, which link to full sized images, but
that's a bit of work. Otherwise I'd suggest breaking them up
thematically into pages, with only 2 or 3 images on any one page.

Keep 'em coming!

John